Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Throwback Wednesday 5-21-2014

For more information on my fly fishing and spin fishing charters, visit www.FishTomoka.com 

Here's an early throwback Thursday for all of you out in interspace.  Back in late June of 2013, I was fly fishing in Ormond Beach.  I was near Tomoka State Park in a deep water creek named Strickland Creek.  It connects Sanchez Park to the Tomoka River.  Anyway, I am having a blast catching these 18-24" Snook on a small brown shrimp pattern.  I get on my 4th fish and as i'm bringing it in, I notice something very large shadowing it from below.  At first glance I thought maybe it was big momma Snook following her man.  As I pull the fish further from the depths, the shadow rose along with it. When it got closer I could tell it was no Snook, it has a rounded head, almost like a Redfish.  I decide I need to get the Snook out of the water asap before this mystery fish attacks.  I give a hard pull on the fly rod and the shadow attacks, right at the side of my boat.  It was the biggest bluefish I had ever seen in person.  It came up, grabbed the Snook, shook its head a few times, and disappeared.  As a strictly catch and release Snook fisherman I was bummed to lose a Snook like that but what an amazing site. Goes to show, you never know what you'll see out in the Back Country in Ormond Beach Florida.  



No comments:

Post a Comment